Wednesday, August 7, 2013

great, now i'm running from freaking sharks

Happy (?) Shark Week everyone!

Or rather, welcome to the most terrifying week on television.  I live within a half hour of the beach known as "The Shark Bite Capital of the World" and now I'm pretty sure I'm never going back there again.  This, people, is why I do not jump in to water that I can't see to the bottom of.  If it's not a clear Florida spring or Caribbean waters, I want no part of it. 

Up til Sunday, I'd never even HEARD of a bull shark, and now I'm pretty sure they're all lined up in a row with open mouths, waiting for my pretty polished toes to get a little too close.  These slow-motion video clips of sharks and all their teeth leaping out of the water to grab a bait off the side of a boat and these idiots, er, I mean, scientists egging them on gives me a Great-White-sized case of the heebee jeebees!  Thanks for the nightmares, Discovery Channel.  

On a better note, Scot and I have joined a running club!  There's this bar (don't judge) up in Deland that started a beer run.  (I bet you can now guess how I convinced Scot to do this with me, yes?)  Best part is...drumroll.....it's FREE!  I can do free, no problem.  We just show up at 6:30 on Monday evenings (my day off- this was fate, I tell you!) and do around a 3 mile run with a group.  Each week they feature a specialty craft beer that everyone gets a glass of afterwards.  Well, after we all drink the pitchers of water and nibble on bananas and fig newtons.  Of course, I'm not a beer drinker so if it's a tasty one, Scot gets 2.  I still beat him by a minute or 2 when we run, but he's doing holding his own, especially since he doesn't run like, at all.  Boy was even running in khaki cargo shorts and a cotton t-shirt when we started.  We finally hit up the Ross to get him some real workout clothes so I think he's improving.  It's fun to get out and do this together (and yes, he's admitted that), and of course it keeps me on track for my half-marathon training.  

Speaking of which, I have to run 8 miles this weekend.  All at once.  One after the other.  Looking at these morons on tv playing around in this shark cage and I'm half-thinking I'd rather be there than hoof it 8 miles on a Florida August afternoon.  But I must, because no one else is going to do it for me.  Unless there's any volunteers?  Hello?  No?  Dammit.

No comments:

Post a Comment