Saturday, November 29, 2014

22 miles ain't no "turkey trot"

This week was my first official "Mock Dopey" set of training runs.

Which means I ran 22 miles on Thanksgiving morning, ya'll.

It sucked major ass.

The 5K was at run club at the Abbey bar in Deland Monday night.  Tuesday morning I knocked out 4 miles around the neighborhood, closely watching the lightning off to the south as the skies turned gray.  The torrential rains started around 10am and continued til about noon on Wednesday.  Non stop!  Our pool was thisclose to overflowing.  Because I didn't want to do that running-in-the-rain shit again like at the Wine & Swim a couple weeks ago, I waited and did my 10 required miles that evening after I got home from work.  I headed out around 4:30 and wrapped it up a little after 6, just after dark.  I ended up using my phone flashlight for the last half mile because there were no street lights and I wasn't wearing my blinky ring.  
Sunset toward the end of 10 miles!

I'd used Wednesday morning to do what I'd originally planned to do Wednesday evening instead of the run- baked a chocolate chip pecan pie, fixed up my turkey brine, and baked cornbread for the dressing.  I fell into bed Wednesday night dreading the 22 miles waiting for me the next morning. 

I started the 22 miles around 7:30 in the morning and finished right around noon.  Ugh!  I learned that running 10 miles 12 hours before does NOT give me enough rest!  Scot joined me for some company when I was about 5 miles in, and we ran down to the park and around the soccer fields and back to the house, which was a little over 4 miles.  Then we decided to run up to the library and back.

This is where things went badly.

Because we didn't know how far away the library was.

Round trip?  A little over 9 miles.  We had no water.  Nothing was open to allow us to purchase water.  It was uphill, both ways I'm pretty sure.  I was miserable.  My Runkeeper app had ceased to give me my intervals since mile 4, so I was just slogging along and taking a walk break whenever I felt like it.  It was awful.  When we got back to the house, I still had 2 miles to go, so I headed around the block again.  Poor Scot had only meant to do like 7 miles and ended up doing almost 15!  

I lowered myself into the chilly waters of our pool when I got back.  I didn't have much time to rest because I needed to finish the mashed potatoes, dressing, and bake an apple pie!  I worked nonstop until almost 6pm.  Dinner was delicious, I ate waaaaaay too much, and the next morning when I got up for work I felt like I'd been hit by a truck.  So.  Much.  Hurt.

I got to hang up a new medal though!  I did a virtual turkey run- I figured if I was gonna run 22 miles, I may as well earn something for it.  
 Caramel apple pie, oh yes!

Let's just say I ran a half marathon with a 9 mile warm-up.  Or a 9 mile cool-down.  Whatevs.

Oh, lemme show you some other random crap from this week:

 THIS GUY.  Isn't that something else?  There is a COYOTE just sauntering down runway 7 at Orlando Executive.  I had my student taxi slowly past him to get this photo.  He was just minding his own business before he crossed over the runway and off into the woods.  

THIS PIZZA.  It's a Frito Chili pizza from Papa John's, and it's all sorts of delicious.  Not marathon food by any stretch of the imagination, but we enjoyed it Monday night and it was pretty great.

Okay.  I have one week til the OUC Half marathon, so that'll be what's coming up next.  I swear, I've been so focused on Dopey that I keep flat-out forgetting about the OUC.  I've gotta work out a plan with LizzyDragon to get downtown and whatever for that.  I'm going to take that race easy, I have no goal at all for it.  I've done the under 2 hour half with W&D so I'm just going to enjoy a jog around Orlando.  Then clean up and go to work.  *le sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment