Monday, May 25, 2015

time to tri something new

My knee has been on and off bothering me since we got back from New York.  I took a week off of running, then did 2 3-mile runs before doing a 10K last weekend.  I was getting this pain shooting up the side of my leg and into my knee that limited my distance.  I was a little nervous about the 10K- I told Scot to run on ahead if I crashed because he was trying to get a new POT for Wine & Dine.  We ran the Operation Giveback Run Walk Roll 10K at UCF, and overall I felt pretty good.  He did well too and managed to keep pace with me for the first 3 miles but slowed down after that.  He wasn't in pain, just out of breath and not used to the faster pace yet.  He still managed to come in at 53:55, 12 places behind me and my 52:42.  What didn't help my sore knees and legs was going in to work, then spending 3 days tromping around Disney World with his family.  They'd come in to town on Thursday and we spend Saturday evening bouncing back and forthe between their room at Art Of Animation and our room at Pop Century, all day Sunday at the Magic Kingdom, and all day Monday at Epcot.  I traded fashion for function and wore my hot pink Oofos with my cute sundresses all weekend. 


 "Behind the Seeds" tour at the Land Pavillion at Epcot- always wanted to do this one!
 Been to the MK a hundred times and yet I always take a photo of the castle!
BTMR.  This should be posted on everything everywhere in the world

I hit up the interwebs after our little stay-cation to find a source of my knee/leg pain and was debating joining a gym.  I don't want to join a gym.  I do not have the time or motivation to get up and go like I did years ago when I worked in Sanford.  Since I've traded that 7 minute commute for a 50 minute, I'm less inclined to want to do anything after I get off work and sit in traffic.  It really sucks a lot of time out of the day, you know?  

Hm, how can I do leg and hip strengthening exercises?  I can swim, that's low-impact.  I can ride my bike...  

I KNOW!  I'M GOING TO DO A TRIATHLON!

After talking to Steph and doing some research, I dove headfirst, as it were, into training for my first Tri.  She's done several and has been able to answer my dumbest of questions as were some of my triathlon-doing Facebook friends.  

Can I wear water shoes?  (btw, NO)
Is the swimming part yucky? (probably)
Will I get an amoeba?  (it shouldn't be that warm)
How far is 500 yards swimming, really? (6-12 minutes)
Can I bike in my running shoes? (sure!)
Can I use my pink mountain bike I got from WalMart? (technically, yes...but you will want a road bike for any future races that are longer)
When/how do I set up all my stuff for transition?  Is there one location or 2? (still waiting on an answer for this one)

Soooo I signed up for the YMCA Aunt Catfish Triathlon in Port Orange, FL on August 8th.  Major deciding factor?  They serve free breakfast afterwards.  I haven't yet figured out how I'm going to get my bicycle into my car and up there on race day yet.  I bet I can convince Scot and his SUV I need him there... 

So I've bought a couple things to start- Dick's had BOGO swim goggles so I picked up a tinted and clear pair along with a hot pink swim cap.  My first attempt at swimming in the pool a few days earlier had resulted in water in my eyes and ears and I was pretty sure I was going to drown so I was hoping some headgear would help.  It took Scot and I together almost a half hour to open and adjust the swim goggles for me.  It took me no less than a half-dozen tries to get the stupid swim cap on correctly.  

I have a TON of hair.  Like, no joke, that shit was up in a ponytail and I looked like a Conehead with it all stuffed up in that cap.


I really, really like the swimming!  My knees don't lock up during the day on mornings that I do my laps in the pool and it makes me feel so much better and energetic throughout the work day.  Granted, our pool isn't long enough for me to do a significant stretch of work without stopping to turn around, but I'm able to get enough in for now.  Steph is going to take me to a lake for some open-water practice when race day gets closer.  

The last thing I need to buy is something to wear.  I'm not sure yet that I want a tri suit, I may just do the bottoms and swim in a sports bra.  We'll see.  

I've been trying to get back to using the 2 5-lb hand weights I've had for years, as well as a 10 minute ab app I downloaded on my Kindle (did it once last week and it nearly killed me).  I think finally making time to do a little strength training and scaling back on the long distance runs during the heat of the summer might help poor lil' Left Knee out a bit.

For now, it's Memorial Day and we're planning on a bike ride later in the evening.  The steaks that are sitting the the fridge should be a nice reward afterwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment