Monday, November 30, 2015

running the space coast half 2015

I've really been looking forward to the Space Coast Half Marathon (once I remembered I was running it, which was not very long ago since I've been unbelievably busy focusing on Goofy).  Scot and I stayed the night before at the International Palms Resort which was...okay.  It was a place to sleep.  They gave us a room near the pool though so with the sounds of children shrieking half the night, I didn't sleep too well.

We'd had to go down to Melbourne on Monday so I could pick up my race packet.  I was told there was no race day packet pick-up, which ended up being a drive but alright since we visited the Brevard Zoo and had a good time.  I got my bib pinned on after a 3:30 am wakeup call (just like Disney!) and headed to the bus around 4 to catch the 4:15 departure.  When I got to the bus stop, the bus had arrived early and had filled up and was pulling away!  There were at least 50 people standing around waiting, and another bus wasn't due in to 5am!  Fortunately the volunteer working ordered up an extra one and I was on my way around 4:30.  

The race site staging area was a circular park in a quaint little area known as Cocoa Village.  I couldn't figure my way around too well because it was dark but I'd made a friend on the bus so we wandered together.  Her name was Sarah and she was running the full marathon as her first race ever.  She was planning on a 7 hour finish time, which sounded pretty rough to me.  She was nervous but excited so we walked around and looked at the medals and familiarized ourselves with the staging area layout.  (Hey, look at that- a table for race day packet pick-up!  Hmmm) Finally, at about 5:45, we headed toward the start line- it was packed!  Sarah stayed off to the side and we said our goodbyes- the marathon runners were to get in place after us halfers took off.  

The street was packed!  There were no corrals, just pacing signs so I maneuvered myself towards the middle- between the 2:15 and 2:10 sign.  I knew I had a 20 mile run to do the next morning so I didn't want to push too hard.

This was my view in front and behind me!

I could barely hear the announcer up front or see what was showing on the brightly lit LED tv up near the start.  I heard some muffled talking and then a faint voice shouting "GO!"  It was kind of anticlimactic.  As we inched forward, I could see on the tv now was footage of a space shuttle launching, and a fog machine pumped out fog from somewhere nearby.  The shuttle on the screen continued on up into space but by the time I got to the starting line, the credits were rolling on the screen.  I hit the button on my watch and headed off.  

It was dark.  Like, really dark.  Save for the occasional street lamp, there was no other lighting.  A man behind me was wearing a headlamp.  We turned down some city streets towards the main race road, Rockledge Ave.  

And then I fell.

I don't know what I tripped over- maybe it was a manhole cover, maybe it was a rock, maybe it was air.  But I lost my balance, stuck my hands out and turned to my left so as not to land flat on my face.  I landed hard on my hind end/right hip and scraped up my hands.  My hat flew off.  It hurt.  Bad.

Immediately, other runners paused to help me and ask if I was alright.  I brushed it off as best I could but I hurt.  I just wanted to get back into my running groove.  A gentleman offered me his water bottle to rinse the road rash off my hands.  I limped along, not feeling very good.  I wasn't worried about my speed, I just didn't feel right.  

Since the course was out and back, there ended up being 12 opportunities for water and gatorade.  I took some at each stop but by Mile 4 I was pretty much starving.  I thanked the running gods I'd tucked a mini Cliff bar into my shorts underneath my SparkleSkirt Pack Mule Skirt.  That alleviated some of the hunger pangs and after a bathroom stop at around Mile 5, I was feeling much better.  

I was doing okay on my pace- running 4 minutes, walking 20-30 seconds.  I wasn't super fast, the 2:10 pacer was long ahead of me, but I hadn't seen the 2:15 guy yet so I didn't stress.  I was going for somewhere around 2:15 anyway so if he caught up to me, great.  There were stretches of the road where there were no crowds, but when they were there, they were great!  The road was entirely residential and lines with gorgeous homes- many with lit up Christmas lights and decorations.  Several families had tables set up with snacks and water in their front yards.  One had their entire livingroom set of furniture out on the lawn, from couches down to the rugs!  They were cooking breakfast- like, pancakes and bacon!  No joke.  They had snacks out and I snagged a pretzel on my way by on the reverse side.  The race volunteers at the water tables were all dressed up in costumes... Star Wars, astronauts, all kinds of crazy space-themed outfits!  It was great to see and made a straight-line road race all the more interesting.  When the sun came up, I could see the road was well shaded with a canopy of mossy oak trees and across from the houses was a large waterway- the Indian River.  It really was pretty.  It reminded me of the Tomoka Half Marathon area.  

The turn around for this race was at around Mile 6.5- it was odd though because it wasn't in the road but across a small grassy median.  I stepped through the bushes and onto the way back.  I could now see everyone behind me oncoming.  The 2:15 pacer I noticed was about a half mile behind me when we passed each other on the opposite direction.  I was feeling alright.  The view on the way back was the same, this time though with the added people watching.  I saw the end straggling along and a 4:00 pacer!  God, I couldn't imagine spending 4 hours running a half marathon.  I was around Mile 11ish when I saw an approaching police motorcycle on the other side of the road.  No way!  No.  Not a chance...could it?  Holy shit.

I was on Mile 11 of the half and the lead full marathoner was approaching his Mile 14, after starting a half hour after us.  

Damn.

I thought about my friend Meagan who was running this race as her first full, and about my new bus friend Sarah.  I hoped they were doing alright, and thanked the running gods again I was only doing the half.  I caught up to the 2:10 pacer and with my intervals fell back and caught up with her a few times over the next couple miles.  Finally, the end showed up!  The finish of the race ran in a circle sidewalk around the staging area.  It was packed with spectators yelling and cheering and clanging cowbells.  Hey, Marathonfoto paparazzi!  I circled along the path, passing the 2:10 pacer one more time right at the last minute.  I saw Scot waving at me and smiled for his camera.  Right after that, the finish line mat showed up and I crossed, feeling relaxed and relieved.



 This medal is pretty awesome!  It's so heavy!  



There were some fun photo opportunities in the staging area!  
 Lots of music pumping from the car on this stage

This looked like fun- a big inflatable rocket slide!  I was pretty sure I was going to hurt myself if I tried it though.

We hit up a little divey place called Barrier Jack's for breakfast- I had chocolate milk and a cheeseburger!  Delish, and well-earned.

Overall, I was faster than I wanted, given the distance that still lay ahead of me on Monday morning.  I felt sore later on in the morning after I got cleaned up, my hip/butt hurt from the fall.  Once we got home, I did exactly nothing except lay on the couch and watch "Air Disasters" on the History Channel.  I ended up in bed by 9pm after forcing myself to stay awake for that long. 

My results:
 Net time: 2:09
Total place: 530/3,306 (top 16%)
Age group place: 23/249 (top 9%)
Gender place: 233/2,312 (top 10%)



No comments:

Post a Comment