Tuesday, November 1, 2011

the who, the what, the why

So yesterday I turned 30.  We’d spent the weekend up in the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee- Scot likes to take me on surprise trips for occasions so he told me to pack warm clothes then put me in the car for 10 hours at 6am last Friday morning.  We went hiking and I kept my camera glued to my hand the whole time.  You should understand I'm heavily addicted to those home redecorating shows and I know that design is all about proper "staging."  Which is why I had to ask him to hold up for me on the trail because I wanted to take a picture of an interesting piece of fungus on a log (it was pretty!) but first, "Babe, can you take that bright red leaf right there and set it over on this log?  I need to stage this fungus!"  (him: "you're kidding, right?")  Anyway, it’s a beautiful place up there- if you’ve never been I highly recommend it.  Especially this time of year if you’re a southerner like me who never gets to see the autumn leaves change!  Palm trees are-and always will be-green.  Bleh.

Anyway, about the whole “turning thirty” thing…it’s sort of the reason I started this blog.  I can go on about how it’s a “new me” entering a new stage of life or some such bullshit but, no.  It’s not menopause, it’s the end of the 20s for crying out loud.  I remember not really caring all that much when I turned 20.  No new privileges, no new situations, just another day in college that was pretty much like any other.  I think I was ready for it.  Thirty, however, is a grown-up number.  People in their 30s are ADULTS.  As far as I’ve always known, people in their 30s have houses, are married with kids, drive the types of cars that can hold all those kids, work 40 hours a week, and meet a bunch of other mundane stereotypes.  Of course, I know that there’s no standard lifestyle of a person in their 30s (the world is full of eff’d up people and I know that- Thank you, reality TV!)  I started this blog to keep track of and share what I discover about being a new “30-something.”

So here we go- Official Day One (yesterday doesn’t count because all we did was lay around recovering from the weekend trip and whine about our sore muscles) of the next decade (also, no need for some cheesy Tim McGraw song about the next 30 years- yeah, you know the one.  Hell-to-the-no).  When I get home tonight I’m gonna cook something, have a glass of wine, and watch some trashy TV instead of the news.  Baby steps…   








  

No comments:

Post a Comment