Monday, July 9, 2012

nail polish? nah, i paint my nails with Behr Premium

On a whim while we were in Tennessee last fall for my birthday, I decided to start collecting pottery.  I suppose I was feeling especially country, what with all the fall leaves and Dollywood and hiking and all.  Anyway, I fell in love with Pigeon River Pottery and purchased a couple pieces that spoke to me (or rather, screamed my name and begged me to take them home.)  I've obtained a few more pieces since then, for Christmas and in Key Largo, all varying shades of blue and gray.  It feels very grown-up and turned out to be the stress of my latest DIY project.  So, here we go-

I decided I needed a corner hutch to display my pottery pieces in, so I started hunting.  It took me about 2 months of frequenting every Goodwill, ReStore, Salvation Army, and thrift store I came across before I found what I was looking for, at a price I could handle.  I discovered my new favorite shop- an antiques dealership in Orange City.  The place is probably 4x the size of our house and is filled with treasures!  For $104, I picked up a solid pine hutch and painted and glazed it.

I wiped it down with wet rags, took the doors off, and lightly sanded it.  I chose 2 colors- a white and a yellow paint/primer in one.  Still, I kid you not, they both took like 6 coats.  I painted on that thing for 3 days.  Admittedly, it was on days I was working, so I'd get home and do a couple coats, let it dry til the next day, and repeat.  After the paint was dry, I mixed my good ol' brown glaze that I've used on the red chairs and the garage sale cabinet and toned it down a bit.  I found some really cute little yellow glass knobs at World Market, reattached the doors with new hinges, and TA-DA!
Here's the breakdown-
Hutch- $104
Paint/Brushes- $20
Knobs- $5
Hinges- $6
Glaze- already owned (free!)
Grand Total- $135 (not too shabby!)
 BEFORE
AFTER!

No comments:

Post a Comment