Monday, March 9, 2015

best damn race orlando re-cap

After looking at the weather forecast, I totally thought BDR Orlando on February 28th was going to be the Wettest Damn Race and I was having flashbacks of Wine & Dine last fall.  There was a 70% chance of rain by 10 am, and even thought I was going to be done prior to then I didn't want to ruin the after-party.  

The Best Damn Race is a series, you can find them all over and they tout fast courses, free race photos, and lots of free food, beer, and massages afterwards.  I wouldn't consider it the best race ever, but it was fun and I went in to it to set a new half marathon PR.  6 days before, I'd run the Princess Half Marathon at WDW with an unimpressive time of almost 2:40 (lots of photo stops!) and my previous half PR was from back in December at OUC with a time of 1:51:51.  

I left the house around 5:15 in the morning, got parked in the garage in downtown Orlando by 6:30 (THAT was a cluster) and I made my way a couple blocks to the staging area at Lake Eola.  I had a bag to check with a jacket inside, and I had draped myself in the mylar blanket from Princess on Sunday.  It wasn't cold, but it wasn't warm out either.  I knew 2 other girls running on this morning- Kylie and Meagan- who'd also participated in the OUC half.  I didn't get to meet up with either of them before race start, so I wormed my way into the crowd at the start line.  Look at this ridiculousness- The min/mile pace sections were so close together I couldn't get to where I needed to go!  I found the 2 hour pacer, whom I knew (he works at Fleet Feet) but I was planning on pulling ahead.  There was no 1:50 pacer, just the 1:45.  I set my eye on the 1:45, then a BDR representative counted down an anti-climactic 1-2-3 GO! (no air horn, bell, music, nothing) and we all started off.


I'll spare the details because this race was boring as hell.

Basically, it ran through a residential area east of downtown, past the airport on Crystal Lake Drive (this is where I really noticed how low the clouds were and how foggy and miserable it was out there- glad I wasn't working), then around the path that circled Lake Underhill, then back under the 408 expressway, then back toward downtown through some more residential areas.  

I lost the 1:45 pacer like 3 minutes in to the race but I was finding I was able to hold a pretty steady 8 min/mile.  *When I got back home and looked at my splits, I saw that my first mile was a 7:58!  SEVEN!  SEVEN!  Hot damn!*

Anyway, I was bored.  I was glad I had music and I spend the majority of the time doing mental math and checking my watch every minute, estimating what my time would be at 5K, 10K, halfway, 10 miles in... the mileage signs did not have electric timers on them so there were no other references and I was glad I had my watch!  I cut the corners tight and came in really really close (like exactly 13.1 miles) on my GPS distance.

I felt pretty good the whole race, I could tell I was going to beat my 1:51:51...the question now was by just how much!  I decided a few miles in that I wanted a 4 in my minute-time.  Something in the hour-40s!  I think it was possible because there weren't very many chances to slow down- water only every 2 miles (and Nuun, which I accidentally drank and it was gross) and no food stop.  Well, I mean they were handing out Clif shots like a half mile in but I didn't take any.  

As I came back towards downtown and Mile 10 I found a hill.  Holy mother of all things holy, was that a hill!  My pace dropped to almost a 9 min/mile and I slogged up it.  My feet felt like lead.  Then it started sprinkling.  Not hard, but a steady drizzle stayed for about 15 minutes.  I didn't mind terribly, it felt kind of good.  It was plenty warm, mid-60s by this point.

Finally, I made it to the finish- tried to smile for the cameras but I always look ridiculous while running so I just moved along focusing on my 40s time.  I crossed the finish (did a little happy leap when I saw the clock!) and got my medal.  

I did it!  1:48:29!





 Woo hoo!  I got some snacks, rang the sh!t out of the PR bell, and met up with Meagan when she crossed the finish just over 10 minutes later.




We got some free Pollo Tropical chicken and rice, donuts, bagels, brownies, cokes, and all kinds of other crappy junk food.  Lord, I had the worst stomach ache later on that afternoon!  Go figure.  Anyway, we had a good time afterwards (no free beer for me, had to go to work!) and as I was headed back to my car about an hour later to get to the airport to shower up, I saw Kylie turn the corner and work her way toward the finish!  I gave her a little cheer but I had no time to stay and chat unfortunately.  

I have to say, too- I got a TON of compliments on my Mermaid SparkleSkirt!  Several women approached me at the after-party to ask about it, where did I get it, omg it has so many pockets! etc.  If you're listening, SparkleSkirts- I directed a lot of potential business your way!

Best Damn Results:

Chip time: 1:48:29 (8:18 min/mile)
Place: 119/1,000 total (top 11%)
Age group: 11/107 in the 30-34 range (top 10%)
Gender place: 36/617 females (top 5%)

New time to beat- YES!!!










No comments:

Post a Comment