Wednesday, March 4, 2015

princess half marathon 2015- this one's with a boy

We did it!

Gonzo and Camilla the Chicken ran a race together, they stayed together, and Camilla was on her best behavior.  Like our costumes?
I knew this was going to be a slower race for me because Scot and I do not run at the same pace.  He was dead-set on sticking to his 10 min/mile and nothing was going to change that.  That's what he trained for, so that's what I was going to do with him.  He ran fast for me at that 10K in Apopka back in September (the one that I won, and btw, I STILL haven't gotten my trophy, even after sending emails.  It's a touchy subject.  Pout.)  and he got himself a respectable time, good enough to get him into Corral D.  I was in C and stepped back with him.  
We made it on to the bus just before 4am- it was chilly but not as bad as the day before!  We had our airplane/plant covering blankets and were quite cozy upon arrival at the staging area.  Our friend from Abbey Run Club, Jamie, was running with her mom and a few other friends so she and I  were sort of texting back and forth thinking maybe we'd laughingly try a meet-up somewhere among the 24,000 runners crammed into the Epcot lot that morning!  Scot and I made it through the gates and were inching along past the charity tents toward the stage when the crowds parted a little and I saw Jamie and her group standing right in front of us.  I had no idea she'd be there!  If we'd been 10 feet to the left or a minute later, we would have missed her!  Quick photo op, then we all started the 20 minute walk to corrals.  We parted ways at the intersection, made a bathroom pit stop, and then joined our new crew in Corral D.  Jamie and her mom headed back to O.



At 5:30, the countdown was on!  A dramatic burst of fireworks got Corral A going and we started moving up.  B went 2 minutes later, then C.  The announcers kept us all pumped up pretty good- I remembered to have my GPS watch ready and on this time!  They counted us down, the music started, and off we went.  I got my watch going- the plan was to run the first 5K or so and then switch to intervals if we were feeling the need to.  Since Scot and his long legs just kind of lumber along, he's not much of an interval guy unless he's trying to go fast.  We passed up the first character (never stop for the first character!  It's like stopping at the gas station right next to the airport- costs too much!)

There was a high school band playing with dancers and cheerleaders waving poms poms on the side of the road less than a half mile in- so great of them to wake up and be there for us all!  We could see the line of spectators in the dark off to the left side of the highway- everyone was cheering and screaming and blowing noisemakers and waving signs.  I kept an easy pace with Scot as we tried to weave around the mass of people on the road.  I wanted to gain a little ground, and since I'm a bit faster I kept pulling ahead, turning around, and looking for him.  This running together thing was going to take some getting used to!

Did I ever mention that we DO NOT run together?  Like, ever?

I realized I'd have to get my act together, relax, and try to dial down my Energizer bunny thing I usually have going on.  

We passed the pirate ship with jack Sparrow and Captain Barbosa on the left- Scot thought the line was too long and plus is was still really dark so we didn't stop there.  We also passed a massive line for a photo with the Disney Heros and Princes.  I kinda wanted that photo but there must have been 100 people waiting and I wasn't going to make Scot stand in a line that long.  And I really didn't want to, either.  We carried on toward the Magic Kingdom entrance where I had to stop us for an awkward selfie:


We passed through the sign ("Caution runners, speed bumps ahead!") and ran around the parking lot of the TTC.  Scot asked if we'd run around the Speedway track- I told him no, just the marathon does that.  Which reminded me that they're getting rid of the driving experience and I wondered out loud if the marathon course would change.  We passed some race cars all cranked up and surrounded by lights, fog, and music before happening upon Wreck-It-Ralph.  I looked at Scot- "Photo stop?"  "Sure!" he answered.  The line was short, 3 people, so we hopped in it.

We stood there just long enough for me to get the Fix It Fix It Felix song stuck in my head before moving along toward Mile 4.  The run through the TTC lot is always fun- there's tons of screaming people, cow bells, crazy posters waving around- all over good crowd support!  We saw up ahead the Disney Villains photo stop.  The line was long and I was hesitant (I hate standing still) but I asked him anyway if he wanted to get a picture and he was more than willing.  
We stood in that line for 12 minutes.  12 agonizing minutes!  I hopped from one foot to the other, trying not to be irritated because hello, this is Disney and I'm running a race with my wonderful boyfriend but man did it annoy me to just stand there for that long!  Scot noticed and tried to calm me down, telling me it was okay, we had plenty of time, let's just have fun.  So I made like Elsa and I 

Let. It. Go.

I wasn't running this race for the time.  I wanted to have fun, get good photos, and be there with my man when he crossed the finish line of his first big race.  Did I break away from this photo when it was done and haul ass?  Yep.

Dawn was starting to break a little bit at this time- I thought about last year when I was a mile farther down the road and it was still dark, even though I was 2 corrals farther back.  But then, I was just focused on seeing the sights and finishing the race so I didn't let the clock get to me.  We hit Mile 5 just before entering Main Street into the Magic Kingdom, then we burst through the gate and onstage.

I peeked over at Scot as we ran down Main Street.  He was smiling and had his hand out for some high 5s along the way.  He's pretty understated when it comes to really exciting stuff so to see him actually having fun and not thinking about running was the best.  I briefly glanced around to see if our friend Joe was there in the crowds (he was, but I didn't see him), and then we turned toward Tomorrowland.  We stopped and the unofficial secret photo stop (no photographer here, just whoever is behind you in line takes it) and I think it came out great- I was actually glad to have some bits of daylight for this one!


We got Woody (another quick line, maybe 3 people) in Frontierland, then we hit Mile 6 and ran backstage into the area we'd toured at the end of January.  We saw the big parade float and Snow White but passed- the line for that was too ridiculous and Scot wanted to keep going.  After that, it was on to Floridian Way, past the Grand Floridian Resort, the Poly, and the golf courses.  This part of the course got a little crowded.  We were noticing G corral bibs and some I corral bibs so I knew we were in the thick of things.  We hopped off into the grass at times and scooted along.  The line for Mary Poppins was short, as was Golfing Genie, so we stopped a couple more times.  Scot excitedly said Mary Poppins told him she loved his costume!  

As we were in the Mary Poppins line, I saw the 2:30 pacer go by.  I whimpered a little bit, Scot put his arm on mine and told me not to worry about it.  I wasn't worried about not finishing by any means, I think I just don't like being out running any longer than I have to be.  I hate delays of all sorts- flight delays, traffic, red lights, do not walk signs- I like to get where I need to go quickly.  I took a deep breath, and smiled for the camera.  I know the time I can finish a half marathon in and it was bugging me that I wouldn't be even close to my usual time.  Even though I wanted photos.  Which totally does not make any sense at all, I know, I know.  Energizer bunny, remember?

We hit the Clif Shot stop and took our own Gu packets around Mile 8.  As we got around Mile 9, I saw- the Heroes and Princes!  In the daylight!  With a line 4 people deep!  4!  This put a big grin on my face and we pulled over for the photo.  Scot may have held my waist significantly tighter than in previous photo opportunities.  
 Aladdin, Prince Eric, Flynn Rider, Phoebus, Herc, and John Smith.  And Gonzo!

Right after that, we saw the pirate ship!  Again, with a short line!  How clever of us to not stop in the dark early in the morning and to wait it out!  Can you tell I have the biggest grin on my face here?  

We moved along toward Mile 10 at this point and I told Scot the Green Army Man was coming up.  And some hills!  We passed Mile 10 and started up the curving ramp towards Epcot again.  We heard him shouting out to the masses of runners ahead of us- "Keep going- this is a race!  No walking!"  We stopped, there were 4 people ahead of us.  I told Scot I was gonna do some push-ups with Green Army Man, and did he want to do some with me?  Well, he politely declined, go figure.... until the 2 girls in line ahead of us dropped down while GAM counted out 5 push-ups.  "Well, I guess maybe I can do some" Scot mumbled.  I laughed out loud and handed my camera to the cast member before I dropped down on the grass next to him.

"ONE!  TWO!  THREE!  FOUR!  FIVE!"

Jesus christ, Green Army Man counted slow!  I had dirt and wet grass on my hands but I didn't care.  We stood for a regular picture and then hurried off.  After that adventure came a large hill!  We made a turn around up the overpass, this was a good time for a walk break!  There was a u-turn in there and then we were onward into Epcot!  Along the way, we'd passed and then been passed by several times a guy dressed like the King of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland.  We zoned in on him, determined not to let him pass us again.  Gotta have goals, you know?

With that focus, we ran in to Epcot to the welcoming shouts of some backstage cast members before coming alongside Spaceship Earth, past the fountain, down the garden area toward World Showcase, and back around toward the big ball again.  The Marathonphoto paparazzi were out in force!  I took Scot's hand and we ran under the monorail track, around the flower beds where the Christmas tree usually is, and back toward the finish line.  I had energy to spare and tend to gun it a bit toward the finish but he pulled my hand back and kept me slow.  Didn't want to hurt anything, he said.  I get that.  I was really sore after my first big race and I didn't want him hurting either so I slowed down and we jogged easily toward the finish.  Quick!  One last photo stop!

Scot's looking a little whupped in this photo.  Same kind of face in the official Marathonphoto shots too but he kept going.  We passed the choir singing praises at Mile 13, then ran down the finisher's chute, past the screaming crowds, and I heard the announcer call out my name.  We crossed the confetti-littered finish line hand in hand.  I was a lot less emotional about it than I was last year of course (it's still a big moment, and a welcome relief!) so I was able to keep Scot focused and steer him toward the medals, photos, water, Powerade, bananas, and snack boxes.  
It was warm!  And sunny!  I was glad I'd gone with the visors when I made our costumes.  I picked up my glass slipper medal and then we wandered around the reunion area for a bit. We then stumbled into the half marathon awards ceremony!  We watched for a little bit, stretched out our legs, and clapped for the insanely fast women who won the race. 

As we were walking back to the buses, I heard a girl shout out "Oh look- that's them right there!  Gonzo and Camilla!"  I turned to her, quizzically smiling.  "I was just telling my friend about your costumes!" she said from her seated position in the parking lot.  "Ya'll passed me along the way and I just thought you had the best outfits!  I love the Muppets!"  She turned to her girlfriend next to her.  "That's them!  Aren't they great?"

I gave a big smile and thanked her and told her I appreciated her noticing. 

That?  That that just happened right there?  Is what made my day.

 We were almost back to the hotel when I got a text from Jamie- she was checking in near Mile 10, unfortunately her mom had gotten swept just prior to entering the Magic Kingdom.  I sent an encouraging response to her- we'd see her the next day at Run Club to catch up.

We got back to the room showered up, stretched, then headed back to Epcot for lunch.  We managed to get a walk-up table at Via Napoli in Italy with a 5 minute wait!  Ordered and ate an entire large pizza in 12 minutes.  Yes, we timed it!  


After lunch we got on the road again to get back to the house.  We had to clean up and then attend an Oscar viewing party in fancy dress that night!  I had to make an appetizer to bring so even after we got home, it was no rest for the weary.  But I think we clean up good, yeah?  This?  This was a 22-hour day.
And sure, let's celebrate with a glass or 3 of champagne!

Our times were pretty much the same since we crossed the finish together:


Scot was 653rd/1,717 male finishers
I was 5,219th/18,489 of the female finishers

Our net time: 2:39:12 

My longest half time by far but Scot told me he was okay with it because it would be an easy record to beat if he runs one again!  Good point.  

No comments:

Post a Comment