Wednesday, January 14, 2015

dopey challenge day 2: the 10k

On Friday, my alarm unsympathetically jarred me awake at 3:15.  I'd slept mildly better the night before, in part because I was just plain tired!  I got dressed in my Nemo costume and discovered something.

I had made a Nemo corset.


The white satin stripes I'd sewn around the orange tech shirt didn't stretch.  Like, at all.  The shirt had absolutely no give to it!  Fortunately with my sports bra I was able to squeeze into it but I could only take shallow breaths.  It'll have to work.  I ate another banana and crackers for breakfast, not really hungry and not really even wanting them.  I made it to the bus stop by 4 and then to Epcot again with plenty of time.
Apparently, I was behind 2 Stitches in the corral!

I'd put on an oversized gray hoodie as a throw-away cover and a customer yesterday at work had given me some packs of those charcoal hand warmers so I was feeling chilly but okay.  I met up with some other Dopeys for a photo op and some chit-chat.  After that, back to corral B for 6.2 miles!  I didn't see my millionaire friend but I was okay with that.  When we got the GO at 5:40, I trotted off.  My plan was to just stick to a light jog, 10 min/mi, maybe stop for a photo or 2, and just continue to use this run as a warm-up for the half.  I tossed my hoodie over the fence at the start and lost the hand warmers around mile 2.5.  I wish I'd kept them because it was freezing afterwards!  

The course was the same at the Enchanted 10K from Princess weekend.  Out of Epcot, along Epcot Center Drive, then back into the park around mile 3.  I didn't stop at any of the characters outside the park, but when I got to World Showcase, I did stop for Mushu because I looooove Mulan.  It came out blurry and that makes me a little sad.  

The crowds around the Boardwalk between Miles 4.5 and 5.5 were great- I'm so glad people get up and crawl out of bed to cheer us on!  Football Player Mickey Mouse was posing for photos next to the ESPN restaurant but there were seriously 100 people in line there and I really don't care about football so I passed.  

About halfway around the Boardwalk, someone slightly behind me called out "Hey, Nemo!"
I turned around "Hi!"
A bearded man ran up next to me. "How are you doing?"
I said the first thing that came to mind: "Doing swimmingly!"
He laughed.  "I just wanted to let you know that I've been kind of pacing you for the past few miles.  I didn't want you to freak out that some weird guy was running behind you the whole time"
Now, I didn't feel the need to tell him about my weird guy running with me yesterday so I told him that was just fine, and we chatted along towards the finish.  Mr Beard was from Savannah- good, I had some questions to ask him about the Rock N Roll race there.  We talked about purely running things, which was totally fine by me!
Really cool puppets- they had similar ones at the Enchanted 10K, these were right at the finish

After the tour around the Boardwalk, it was back in to Epcot near the Imagination Pavillion.  After that, a quick hop in front of Spaceship Earth, then out the chute to the finish line.  We said our congratulations and goodbyes, I got my medal, then I headed out.  I saw the line for a photo with Dopey out near the bus pick-up so I got in it.  It was freezing!  I was regretting ditching my hoodie while waiting in that 20 minute line.  I got the photo and then scooted over to the bus as fast as I could.   




My parents were up and moving around when I got back to the room, so we spent the day at Animal Kingdom.  It was a very windy, cold, gray, drizzly day!  I wanted to stay off my feet as much as possible so we saw a lot of the shows and tried to plan the activities to have as little walking as possible.  The really good thing is that Scot got the next day off work so he actually came down while we were at the park!  We left around 5 and met him at the hotel for dinner.

Bless him, he brought me my pillow.

10K results:

2,611th place out of 10,949 (top 23%)
Gender place: 903/6,309 (top 14%)
Net time: 1:04:33

No comments:

Post a Comment